Soil and water conservation districts are governed by a seven member volunteer board. Supervisor positions on the board are elected by the land owners of the district, with the allowance of two appointed positions. Board members may serve two years by appointment or election.
Edgewood SWCD Boundaries
Through a resolution, districts may hold referendums to vote for a mill levy for the property owners of the district. A mill levy is one mill of one third of the property's net taxable value (i.e. property valued at $100,000.00 would be assessed 33.33 per year mill levy). The mill levy is assessed at the county tax assessor's office and provided to the District on a quarterly basis.
Other sources of funding for the Edgewood Soil & Water Conservation include grant programs that the District is able to obtain, cooperative funds with other agencies, and in-kind contributions.
The Mountainair and Sandia Ranger Districts has implemented stage 2 fire restriction.
Record warm temperatures and exceptionally dry fuel moisture levels are expected to increase the fire danger level significantly. These condition are expected to continue over the next week or so.
Because of the increased fire danger, and to protect public health and safety, Stage II fire restrictions are implemented.
Under Stage II fire restrictions, the following are prohibited:
• Building or maintaining a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove
• Explosives, fireworks, or any pyrotechnic device
• Smoking, except in a vehicle or building or an area that has no vegetation such as a parking lot
• Chainsaws or other equipment powered by a combustion engine (prohibited from 10 AM - 6 PM)
• Welding or operating a torch with an open flame
• Using a motor vehicle off of National Forest System roads, except in developed campgrounds and trailheads and areas within 10 feet of the roadway where there is no vegetation
• Discharging firearms
The restriction orders will remain in effect until December 31, 2017, or until rescinded. Violations of these orders are punishable by a fine of $5,000 for individuals, $10,000 for organizations, and/or 6 months of imprisonment.
July 6, 2017
August 3, 2017
September 7, 2017