The Edgewood Soil and Water Conservation District in Moriarty, New Mexico is one of the three Districts cooperating on the Estancia Basin Watershed and Forest Health Experimental Monitoring Project, the purpose of which is to evaluate the effects of thinning programs and other treatment options on groundwater recharge, vegetation, wildlife, and other resources within the Estancia Basin. The study evaluates four test sites in ponderosa pine and pinon/juniper forests.
For more information please visit:
The Water Trust Board Grant Funding Program provides financial and technical assistance for watershed management focusing on watershed health restoration projects on private and/or state land. These projects include:
We accept applications year-round.
The Mountainair and Sandia Ranger Districts has implemented stage 2 fire restriction.
Record warm temperatures and exceptionally dry fuel moisture levels are expected to increase the fire danger level significantly. These condition are expected to continue over the next week or so.
Because of the increased fire danger, and to protect public health and safety, Stage II fire restrictions are implemented.
Under Stage II fire restrictions, the following are prohibited:
• Building or maintaining a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove
• Explosives, fireworks, or any pyrotechnic device
• Smoking, except in a vehicle or building or an area that has no vegetation such as a parking lot
• Chainsaws or other equipment powered by a combustion engine (prohibited from 10 AM - 6 PM)
• Welding or operating a torch with an open flame
• Using a motor vehicle off of National Forest System roads, except in developed campgrounds and trailheads and areas within 10 feet of the roadway where there is no vegetation
• Discharging firearms
The restriction orders will remain in effect until December 31, 2017, or until rescinded. Violations of these orders are punishable by a fine of $5,000 for individuals, $10,000 for organizations, and/or 6 months of imprisonment.
July 6, 2017
August 3, 2017
September 7, 2017